What I Learned from a Video in 9/25

The day was the brand new beginning to my multilingual learning journal, because it broadened my horizon in language learning process. A video appeared in Prof. Cc ‘s class, called “How to Learn Language in 6 Months”, this title definitely seized my eyes. “How can we learn an exotic language in 6 months? Is this video kidding me to catch others attention?” That’s the question first came up to my mind; it also enhanced my curiosity to take a look. The speaker gradually entitled three main ideas with clear number, such as 5 principles to apply in this plan, etc. For me, I also acquired the presentation skill from him, since the audience is able to know how many points will be discussed in the very beginning, I can apply it to my future presentation as an opening in my presentation! I will talk about some points in which I am interested separately among 3 different fields, myths, principles, and actions.

The first one is immersion per se, and I am quite confused about why he regarded immersion per se as one of the myths. He took a drowning man as an example, because the drowning man never learns swim in water. I understood and accept his viewpoint after he did so, for his example possess credibility. Some parents believe they can bring their own child to foreign countries, so that their ability to English is better than children in Taiwan. This argument is both true and unreal in my point of view. True means they can speak English fluently than average people, while some people who have never been to foreign countries are better than them, they are familiar with the learning process.

Secondly, are the principles he mentioned which two of them resonate me the most. The first one is: focus on language content that is relevant to you, and I absolutely agree with it, that’s the deepest pleasure of learning a new language. This principle for me will help people finding the main reason of learning. The speaker took tools as an example; we must learn how to use a tool so as to survive for fear that we are in need that nobody can help us. The second one is: Use your new language as a tool to communicate from day 1. The speaker rendered his point of view to support the idea, taking a night train. He talked with a guard who had some interests talking to him, thus the speaker understood Mandarin more and more via impressions and some body language. I also totally agree with this perspective, since I recall my Thai class at school. In this class, students are required to learn Thai sentences every week and usual conversations for exams. In other words, we must acquire them and speak out loud to make sure there’s an output. This method is beneficial and useful for students than common test, since students are usually trained to be a test-taking machine, completing teacher’s assignment and requirement, especially in Taiwan.


留言