Crystal's German cultural shock
I find that my learning process
is absolutely procrastinated on my own. Fortunately, there’s only a week
delayed, this week should have been food and ordering instruction in German. In
addition, thanks to my own introspection, I realized that rooted
procrastination must be solved urgently. “Everything must be handled earlier.” This
idea ALWAYS comes up to my mind. Nevertheless, I postpone all of them to the
last priority because of my laziness and tiredness. All I must do is to catch
up the learning schedule, ensuring everything is on the correct way. Believe
me, I am trying making up what I need, including the contents below.
The topic today is German
Culture, one of the most fascinating part in the schedule, which seizes my
eyes immediately. I watched a video entitling “9 things to know before you come to Germany”;
this video offers me a brief but thoroughly overview of German culture, which brings
my knowledge toward Germany to higher level. For instance, all I know about German
and culture itself are: organized people and Beer Festival in Munich. I don’t
know any other details until finishing that video. In order to enhance my
memories about Germany, I will describe some elements separately, since they
are worth learning and catches my attention.
The video is inclusive of various cultural
aspects, from language to daily life. Here I will introduce German itself, then
move to the most essential part. People in Germany soak in exotic atmosphere, the
locals and the foreign tourists, thus different linguistic experience happen
over and over again. Those depend on where we are currently, for instance,
English is spoken mostly in Berlin. Berlin, the capital of Germany, collects more
international tourists than any other cities in Germany, so tourists are feel
free to speak English. However, English is only expected to speak in
restaurants, people in public transportation and
authorities are required to speak German. Apart
from Berlin, it’s better to learn German in small towns,
because we are able to experience more local lives there, instead of tourists.
The
second tricky part in German is payment. Electronic and mobile payment are
springing up all over the world, including Taiwan, so as to reduce the risk of
losing REAL money. Notwithstanding people are capable of satisfying their needs
with a cellphone and a plastic card around the world, Germans still tend to pay
via cash. It’s unbelievable that they take a bunch of coins with them outside,
but this fact is authentic after I did some research. German
believes it’s more trustworthy to pay in cash, for they are able to see actual
action. The “tradition” was derived from historical events, they were
reinforced by the Nazi, everything is monitored. Therefore, they cherish their
own privacy, the transaction log is visible on the cellphone or application.
People’ d better withdraw cash at ATM in
proper banks, because those in small shops are more expensive. Interestingly,
this habit begins to change because of COVID-19, to prevent spreading virus
from others.
Reference:
https://www.businessweekly.com.tw/international/blog/3002574
留言
張貼留言